Not Quite Through

I thought I would close my blog because I couldn't think of anything to say after my youngest brother died. I did close it for a bit, but now I'm back - and I'm expanding my web presence.

I just finished my new web page which is dedicated to my journey as an author. You can find it here.

I retired from Boeing last month, so I've been unemployed for a bit. We're starting to feel the effects of the changes, but I don't miss work. I miss some of the people, but not the cubicle. We sure miss the paychecks.

I'm thinking of starting a separate blog simply for my retirement journey. So far I had to accomplish a few things.

1. Get all the retirement paperwork completed. Most of that was finished before I could leave. That was easy.

2. Get all the medical insurance taken care of. Since I'm only 57 and not a veteran, I still have a few years before Medicare kicks in. My chosen option is to retain my existing plan through Boeing. The cost is a bit less than $800/month. There goes most of the pension check.

3. Get my 401K transferred over to an IRA account. In order to do that we had to find a money manager we trusted. One of the tricks is to find someone with low fees. Most charge around 1.7 - 1.8%. Now my personal philosophy is that this is a form of robbery. I don't mind paying a fee to the money managers, but shouldn't it be a percentage of the profits they make from MY money? It doesn't seem right that it is a percentage of the money that I'm entrusting to their care. Nobody in the industry seems to agree with me though. That part will be taken care of in the next few days, and we'll be watching them closely. After all, nobody cares about your money like you do, especially if they are sucking the cash from your principal funds. Vampire bankers...

That's just the beginning.

And this is the continuation. If I create a blog like Retire by 40, I'll let you know. Somehow, Retired at 57 doesn't have the same ring to it...

In the meantime, I'll start posting again. See you soon.

Comments

  1. Vince, I think most people today aren't worrying about retiring at 40; but how to retire at 57 or 60 or 65 because it isn't a sure thing anymore. Too many older people struggling just to get by paycheck to paycheck, how can they even consider retirement? And I totally agree about 401k and IRAs, those thieves should only get a % of money they make for me that year, not all the money I have in that account. ROBBERY without guns and masks.
    -Wes-

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Why I cancelled The Bauman Letter

FBAR Scam, but not illegal

Mister BoJangles